Search

Monday, December 28, 2020

Many of us have had COVID-19 and didn’t even know it | Letters - Tampa Bay Times

tetekrefil.blogspot.com

COVID-19 antibodies

Picture yourself in a hospital

Not all of us can say we have COVID-19. I can — and I do. I tested positive last week. Well, you might ask, what did you do to get infected? Didn’t wear a mask? Go to a party? Fly out of town for Thanksgiving? No, I did none of that.

I am 66 years old and in relatively good health, with no underlying health issues that COVID-19 can latch onto and send me to an early grave. I am retired, and with this pandemic in action, I have probably spent 99 percent of my time at home, going out for necessities and, I will admit, the occasional trip to the hardware store for supplies. I always wore a mask and always did my best to keep my distance.

This virus snuck up on me very quietly. Looking back, I might have had it for a week without knowing it. It started with some very innocuous symptoms — a few sneezes and a bit of post-nasal drip; nothing that would ever suggest that I had a virus that is out of control worldwide. I thought it was allergies. However, the day I realized that I had absolutely no sense of taste or smell was the day I realized I was infected with COVID-19. I was tested the next day and had the results in less than 48 hours.

Here is my reason for sharing my experience with you: There are many, many people out there who have been infected with the virus and have no clue to the fact. Six feet is not a magic number and a mask is not a vaccine. Both will help in the slowing of this virus, but neither will prevent it. The best thing you can do for yourself is to stay home whenever possible. If you think that is restrictive and confining for you, well, just picture yourself in a bed in the corridor of a hospital, waiting for a team of nurses and doctors to find the time to help you.

Philip Penrose, Spring Hill

Lung cancer outcomes

Surviving lung cancer

The American Lung Association recently released its third annual State of Lung Cancer report, which examines the toll of lung cancer in Florida and outlines steps the state can take to protect its residents from lung cancer.

The report revealed promising news — more people than ever are surviving lung cancer. Nationally, we are seeing a positive trend of increased lung cancer survival. The nationwide five-year lung cancer survival rate is 22.6 percent and reflects a 13 percent improvement over the past five years. Florida is fortunate to have above average lung cancer survival rates at 24.1 percent. This encouraging trend is aided by increased awareness of early detection through lung cancer screening and advancements in research.

Unfortunately, not all Florida residents are benefiting from these advancements. For the first time, the “State of Lung Cancer” report explores the lung cancer burden among racial and ethnic groups at the national and state levels. It revealed that people of color diagnosed with lung cancer face worse outcomes compared to white Americans because they are less likely to be diagnosed early, less likely to receive surgical treatment, and more likely to receive no treatment.

We are making progress against lung cancer, but too many people are being left behind. I encourage Florida residents to educate yourselves about lung cancer, talk to your doctor about lung cancer screening, and if you smoke, quit. Learn more at Lung.org/SOLC.

Jhanelle Gray, Tampa

The writer is the Chair of the Department of Thoracic Oncology at Moffitt Cancer Center.

Let's block ads! (Why?)



"many" - Google News
December 29, 2020 at 05:37AM
https://ift.tt/3hp6C8o

Many of us have had COVID-19 and didn’t even know it | Letters - Tampa Bay Times
"many" - Google News
https://ift.tt/2OYUfnl
https://ift.tt/3f9EULr

No comments:

Post a Comment