Search

Monday, July 19, 2021

HARRIS: Big Rapids offers many unique, rewarding opportunities - The Pioneer

tetekrefil.blogspot.com

I grew up in a town where there’s always something to do. I was never too far from the city, suburbs, or even country life.

But, that all changed when I came to Central Michigan University, particularly, in the summer of 2021 — my internship.

After my first six weeks at the Big Rapids Pioneer, I’ve been able to take the time to appreciate the small things in life like being surrounded by cornfields, cricks, creeks (yes, there is a difference), and farm life.

My time as a reporter-intern is sadly ending soon. The skills and knowledge I am taking away are immeasurable. I could not have asked for a better first internship experience to build a foundation for my career.

Here are some of the most important aspects of this experience that I will carry with me to my future endeavors.

Being from an urban community like Ypsilanti, there’s always something to do. Whether that’s going to the mall, concerts, or clubs. It was rewarding to take a step back and enjoy rural communities while learning about things that I never knew existed.

Like tractor pulls, asparagus farms, and the behind-the-scenes of the cannabis industry. Moments like these I was able to realize that rural communities are just as unique as urban ones.

Although I didn’t live in the Big Rapids community, I was able to interact with people at festivals, elementary field days, tattoo shops, and many more. Not to mention I found the best froyo EVER (no exaggeration) at Toppings Frozen Yogurt. Specifically, the black cherry and pineapple flavor topped with strawberries and coconut shavings.

Interning at the Pioneer, I was able to build my portfolio. I took on projects such as conducting interviews, uploading website content and dove into photography.

In the last few weeks of my internship, I plan to continue learning more about the cannabis industry that’s so prominent in Big Rapids. I have even earned the name of "cannabis girl" or "cannabis correspondent," because of my high interest in the marijuana industry.

I’m excited to see what’s in store for me next in my career. I want to thank the Pioneer and the Big Rapids community for being so supportive and welcoming me throughout my internship.

I can't wait to see you all in the near future.

Gena Harris is a summer reporter with the Pioneer through an internship with WCMU Public Media. She can be reached at gena.harris@hearst.com.

Adblock test (Why?)



"many" - Google News
July 19, 2021 at 05:07PM
https://ift.tt/3ioLqQR

HARRIS: Big Rapids offers many unique, rewarding opportunities - The Pioneer
"many" - Google News
https://ift.tt/2OYUfnl
https://ift.tt/3f9EULr

No comments:

Post a Comment